Employer Sponsored Migration   

The Employer Sponsored Migration program allow employers to sponsor overseas skilled workers to undertake employment in Australia as a temporary or permanent resident.

Temporary Residency Visas  

A business that wants to sponsor an employee as a temporary resident employers need to nominate overseas citizens for a Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482).

Prior to March 2018, employees would  most likely have sponsored employees under the Temporary Work (Skilled) Subclass 457 visa. Read more  here

To employ an applicant under the Subclass 482 there are 3 stages. An overview is below.

1. Standard Business Sponsor (SBS)

The business needs to be approved as a business sponsor. To do this it will need to evidence that they are either lawfully operating in Australia OR if they are an overseas based business that they have plans to start up a business in Australia or are required to send staff to Australia to fulfill contractual requirements.
For approval as a sponsor the business will also need to meet and adhere to specific sponsorship obligations,. They will also need to ensure ongoing compliance with them. The SBS is valid for 5 years and allows the sponsor to nominate a specified number of applicants.

2.  Nomination

For each position that the sponsor wishes to employ an overseas applicant they will need to nominate the position. The sponsor may be required to evidence specified Labour Market Testing (LMT*) requirements. They will also have to pay the required Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) levy.
In addition, unless the position is exempted the business will be required to show that the nominated employee will be paid at Market Salary Rates (MSR) for the position. and the location of the role.
* Please note that under the Free Trade Agreement  (FTA) negotiated between Australia & the UK, LMT has been removed for British Citizens. To discuss LMT and exemptions please contact us. 

3. Application

In the visa application stage, the applicant is required to show they have have a minimum of 2 years experience in the nominated position, meet qualification or registration requirements (if applicable),  satisfy english language requirements and provide police clearances. Medicals may also be required.
The applicant(s) will also need to evidence they have adequate private health cover/ arrangements.

Permanent Residency Visas

Australian businesses are able to sponsor skilled overseas workers as permanent residents under the Employer Nomination Scheme visa (Subclass 186).

Australian businesses are able to sponsor skilled overseas workers as permanent residents under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (Subclass 186).
This visa is for employers that want to offer an employee a permanent position in the business in Australia. The process requires an approved Australian business making a Nomination for a skilled worker and the individual and their family to make a visa application.
The majority of the visa applications made under the Subclass 186 streams as below:
  • Direct Entry Stream  – For applicants outside Australia who can prove their skills for the position and the offer of employment in a specified occupation OR
  • Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) Scheme – for applicants who have held a Subclass 482 in Australia for 2 years and will continue to work in the position permanently.
There is a third PR stream, Labour Agreement. Employers may be able to negotiate a a further pathway under a Labour Agreement. Please contact us to discuss this.

Business considerations

Businesses that intend to utilise any of the Employer Sponsored visas for the first time will need to consider a wide range of business issues and will need to obtain appropriate professional advice outside of the immigration services we can provide. We will be happy to make introductions for you once we understand your intentions.

For some thoughts on opportunities in Australia and what you need to consider please read our Blog posts.

Do you want more information?

If you are a business or an individual that requires further information about Employer Sponsored Migration visa options please get in touch.

Freephone: 0800 772 0570
Email: mark@cargilmigration.com
Contact Us: Please send your general enquiry using the button below.

Cargil Migration Logo
Opening up post COVID
Migration Agents Registration Number