Partner & Family Migration

The Australian migration program allows for spouses, de-facto partners, fiancés or family members to be sponsored by an eligible individual  – known as a Sponsor – to migrate to Australia.

The Sponsor must be an  Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or an eligible NZ citizen and an appropriate relation to the applicant/s.

Partner Visas

A application may be made for a  Partner Visa if an individual  is married, in a de facto relationship (for at least 12 months, unless exceptional circumstances exist) or is in a registered relationship with an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or eligible NZ Citizen Partner.

Same-sex couples are also eligible to apply if they are in a de facto relationship or their relationship is formally registered with a State or Territory of Australia.

Depending on where the application is made the Partner Visas that can be applied for includes:

  • Partner Visa (Subclass 820/801)
  • Partner Visa (Subclass 309/100)

Depending on the length of the relationship and/or if there are any dependent children from the the relationship, the applicant will eibe granted either temporary residency or permanent residency.

If the applicant is granted temporary residency then permanent residency will be granted if the individual is able to provide evidence that they are in a genuine and continuing relationship with their Partner two years after the visa was granted.

Prospective Spouse Visas

The Prospective Spouse (Subclass 300) visa application allows for fiancés of a Sponsor to net Australia and marry their partner.

The Subclass 300 visa must be lodged whilst the applicant is outside Australia.

Applicants will be granted a 9 month temporary residency visa to enter Australia, get married and lodge a Partner Visa (Subclass 820/801) in Australia.

The applicant and their sponsor must be able to show that they have met each other and be able to provide evidence of their intention to marry.

Family Members of a NZ Citizen

Under immigration law there are concessions in place for NZ Citizens to live in Australia.

For the family members of NZ Citizens who wish to live in Australia with that person they can consider applying for a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship – Temporary – Visa (Subclass 461).

Other Family Visas

The most common visas that eligible Family members may be sponsored for include the following:

Child visas – For parents that want to Sponsor their dependent children –  including adopted –  to migrate to Australia with them.

Remaining Relative visas –  for people outside Australia whose only near relatives are living in Australia.

To read more about these visas please see our Blog article

A Family Affair – Australian Partner & Family migration 

Do you have a query about these visas?

If you have a query about Partner or Family sponsored visas then please get in touch. 

How you can contact us

Australian immigration Solutions

Rory & Cameron

Immediate family exemptions
Migration Agents Registration Number